Thursday, August 21, 2014

Handing Off the Project

On Monday (8/18), I met with Goose Hollow's coordinators, Brandi Tuck and Matt Kertman, to hand off my project. As usual, I had an awesome time talking with them and hearing their feedback and ideas, but this time was special because for the first time I left with lighter arms than I went with!

With the final, edited activities book, I also gave Matt and Brandi feedback forms for the Kid Time Hosts that gauge the activities' effectiveness and double as inventory checks, a sponsor form that lists the contact information for all current and prospective sponsors, and email templates and guidelines for contacting businesses.

My Girl Scout troop leader, Julia Churchill, was also at the meeting. She has always been there for me from the start of this project and, really, from the start of my Girl Scout career. I think the meeting made a great impression on her as well, because both Matt and Brandi were very open about including Girl Scouts in other shelter opportunities. As I mentioned in my previous post, one such opportunity that I am very excited to take part in is the holiday party that takes place in December. Another event is the shelter's annual fundraiser that occurs in October. Since I won't be home at that time, I am thinking of asking the Key Club I previously contacted to help with the event. I think it would be a great way to link the Key Club with the shelter!

Going forward, what I will be doing during the school year is contacting shelters nationally (with permission from the coordinators, of course) to increase awareness about the need for self-expression in homeless shelters. I will probably start doing this a few months after the self-expression program has been implemented, so I can use Goose Hollow as an example.

Attached is a picture of me with Brandi and Matt:


No comments:

Post a Comment